Friday, March 11, 2016

Passion Projects


What an amazing week!
This Wednesday I presented a session at the EdTech Conference held at VCU in Richmond, VA titled "Bring JOY to the Classroom with Passion Projects" where I showcased passion projects of first graders in my school. (For my presentation link, and more information about passion projects, click here.)
The session went well, with lots of laughter and joy scattered about (thanks to everyone who tweeted out comments on #edtechrva - you ROCK!) I loved learning more about the passions of the session participants (shown on this Padlet) then sharing the passions of our students. When the session ended, many participants stayed behind to continue the conversation and ask more questions which was great!
Just this week, I noticed another class diving into passion projects, with a random act of kindness theme:

Of COURSE, I wanted to sponsor a student! What a wonderful project that would have a direct impact on others! I contacted the teacher on Twitter for a mailing address, then stopped by Walmart to pick up a couple pair of socks. Today, after the conference I put passion projects into motion as I mailed off my contribution.

It brings such joy to my soul to know that young people are investing their time and creativity into helping others. What a divine purpose indeed! I'm also thankful for teachers like Mr. Leonard who recognize the power and potential of embracing young students' passions.
A shout-out to all the fantastic people who helped organize and facilitate this year's EdTech conference! Thanks to your hard work, educators such myself can learn, grow, and share the wonderful things we are doing in and out of the classroom! Kudos!

No comments:

Post a Comment